Senior Scientist / Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry
At Kestrel our aspiration is to invent brilliant technologies and develop novel small molecule agents for cancer targets of exceptional scientific and clinical import, beginning with mutant RAS. Our reliance is on the rigorous application of innovative science in the service of the discovery of new medicines for people with cancer. Our priority is patients, always.
Kestrel is an oncology biotech start-up in its early stages of growth, having been in operation since January of 2022. We have excellent funding and, having moved into our new laboratory space in early 2023, are in the process of expanding our team.
We are currently seeking an outstanding individual to expand our medicinal chemistry capabilities. The candidate should be a self-motivated scientist with a strong record of accomplishment in medicinal chemistry. Proven ability to effectively design small molecules, troubleshoot synthesis, and work with a team of contract chemists is required, as well as the ability to excel in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment.
The successful candidate will assume the role of Senior Scientist or Principal Scientist of Medicinal Chemistry (based on years of experience) and will report to the Director of Medicinal Chemistry.
- Plan, execute, interpret, and optimize structure activity relationship campaigns, with a focus on design of high impact small molecules.
- Plan complex multi-step chemical syntheses to deliver target molecules for biological screening.
- Manage project specific resources including external chemistry personnel at CROs.
- Support the preparation of project specific documents to support patent filing.
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team to progress projects from hit ID to DC nomination.
Professional Experience & Qualifications
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry or related field with 5+ years of industry experience or M.S. with 10+ years of industry experience, working in a pharmaceutical / biotechnology setting as a medicinal chemist.
- Demonstrated track record of creativity, aptitude, and problem solving in medicinal chemistry to support program progression from hit ID to DC nomination.
- Outstanding synthetic chemistry background as evidenced by publications and patents.
- Familiarity with a variety of biochemical, biophysical, and cellular assays and ability to interpret data from assays.
- Understanding of the relationship between structure, activity, and ADME properties, with the ability to design compounds for multiparametric optimization.
- Experience in working with external CRO partners.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills.
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and able to expeditiously change course as part of working in a dynamic, interdisciplinary setting.
- Good interpersonal skills.
Kestrel Therapeutics offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance, as well as paid time off and a 401k plan.
Kestrel Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
Fill out the form below and we will contact you.