At Kestrel our aspiration is to invent brilliant technologies and develop novel small molecule agents for cancer targets of exceptional scientific and clinical import, beginning with mutant RAS. Our reliance is on the rigorous application of innovative science in the service of the discovery of new medicines for people with cancer. Our priority is patients, always.
Kestrel is an oncology biotech start-up in its early stages of growth, having been in operation since January of 2022. We have excellent funding and, having moved into our new laboratory space in early 2023, are in the process of expanding our team.
We are seeking an outstanding individual to lead our medicinal chemistry activities. The candidate should be a self-motivated and influential leader with a strong record of accomplishment in medicinal chemistry and project leadership. Proven ability to effectively design small molecules and manage a team of contract chemists is required as is the ability to excel in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment.
The successful candidate will assume the role of Associate Director/Director of Medicinal Chemistry and will report directly to the Vice President of Medicinal Chemistry.
- Lead integrated medicinal chemistry projects from hit generation through the lead optimization process.
- Manage project specific resources including external chemistry personnel.
- Must show keen attention to timelines to rapidly advance projects and achieve program goals.
- Plan, execute, interpret, and optimize structure activity relationship campaigns.
- Plan complex chemical syntheses as needed to deliver high quality molecules for biological screening.
- Develop new IP and lead the preparation of project specific patent documents as appropriate.
- Build and maintain productive relationships with internal and external collaborators in biology, pharmacology, computational chemistry, DMPK, toxicology, and early development.
- Ability to communicate project updates clearly and effectively to key stakeholders.
Professional Experience & Qualifications
- Level will be dependent on experience.
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry or related field with 7+ years of experience working in a pharmaceutical / biotechnology setting as a medicinal chemist.
- Demonstrated leadership in medicinal chemistry and drug discovery as evidenced by a strong record of scientific accomplishment and cross-functional collaboration.
- Outstanding synthetic chemistry background and a demonstrated track record of aptitude and problem solving in medicinal chemistry.
- Expertise in using structure-based drug design principles and computational chemistry tools for medicinal chemistry design.
- Demonstrated experience delivering compounds from hit identification to development candidate selection.
- Experience in working with CRO partners and proven ability to work efficiently in a hybrid research model.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Kestrel Therapeutics offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance, as well as paid time off and a 401k plan.
Kestrel Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
Fill out the form below and we will contact you.